An election for five (5) elected members of a new Parish Pastoral Council will take place on Sunday 4th June 2017, and nomination of candidates is now open.
To qualify for election to the Pastoral Council, according to the Council’s Statutes, a nominee must be:
- a member of Christ’s faithful in full communion with the Catholic Church (cf. c. 512 §1), and
- over the age of eighteen years (18), and
- “outstanding in firm faith, high moral standards and prudence” (cf. 512 §3), and
- either has a domicile in St Benedict’s Parish, Inner Newcastle, or
- though not resident within the boundaries of St Benedict’s Parish, Inner Newcastle habitually attends Sunday Mass at one of the five churches of St Benedict’s Parish, Inner Newcastle.
Nominations of candidates for elections will be received at the Parish Office until 5pm on Wednesday 31st May.
To be valid, nominations must be
- in writing,
- proposed and seconded by two persons who are eligible to cast a vote (the same criteria listed above apply), and
- be accepted by the nominee.
Ballot papers will be made available at all Sunday Masses on the weekend of 3rd/4th June, and an electronic ballot system will also be available for the 48 hours of 3rd/4th June.
A copy of the completed Statutes of the Parish Pastoral Council will be made available via the ‘Downloads’ section of the Parish website (www.newcastlecatholic.org.au/downloads) prior to the close of nominations.